Pacific Northwest Regional Economic Conference 2024 in Bend, Oregon
The 59th annual Pacific Northwest Regional Economic Conference (PNREC) will be held at the Riverhouse Hotel in Bend, Oregon, May 21-23, 2024. The Riverhouse Hotel is located on the banks of the Deschutes River less than 2 miles away from Bend's historic downtown area. Bend is known as the "outdoor playground of the West" due to its pristine beauty and many recreational opportunities that include river rafting on the Deschutes River, hiking at one of the many local state and national parks, or skiing at Mt. Bachelor. Bend boasts a vibrant downtown with over 325 diverse businesses that include art galleries, boutiques and many restaurants. Home of the Ale Trail, Bend is also known for its abundance of nationally renowned wineries and breweries. For more information, view the Visit Bend website at www.visitbend.com.
PNREC 2024 will feature presentations, panels, and papers on a wide variety of topics. Some of the important issues we would like to address at the conference are:
Bend is located at the junction of US Highway 97 and State Highway 20, a 3 ½ hour drive from Portland and a 2 ½ hour drive from Salem, OR. There is non-stop commercial air service between the Roberts Field Airport (RDM), which is located in nearby Redmond, and several major cities, including Seattle and Portland. From RDM, it is a 20-minute shuttle or taxi ride to the Riverhouse Hotel.
- National Resource and Environmental Policy: Implications for Regional Development
- Water and Energy Issues for the Future of the Pacific Northwest
- Regional Modeling, Forecasting, and Impact Analysis
- COVID-19 Impacts to Any Aspect of Economic Activity in the Pacific Northwest
- Health Care in Canada and the U.S.
- Structural Change, Diversification, and Local Development Strategies
- Future of Service, High-Tech and Knowledge-Based Industries within Rural Areas
- Implications of International Trade for Regional Employment and Economic Growth
- Income Inequality and Efforts to Close the Wage Gap
- Economic Impact of the Region’s Wine and Beer Industries
- Urban Growth and Transportation Issues
- Climate Change
- Socioeconomic and Demographic Equity
- International Trade and Supply Chain Disruptions
- Economic Effects of Tax Policies
Please check back periodically for updates. Expect a first call for papers for the 2024 PNREC in September. We look forward to seeing you next year in Bend!
PNREC 2024 Conference Committee Contacts:
2024 Conference Chair
Argonne National Laboratory
Tel: (503) 679-7316
2023 PNREC Program NOW AVAILABLE
PNREC 2023 features four keynote speakers, 17 panel sessions, and the regional economic outlook session.
>> 2023 PNREC PROGRAM
Walla Walla regional economy bus tour
Would you like to learn more about the regional economy in Walla Walla? This year, we are pleased to offer an optional regional economy bus tour on May 8. The tour features a catered lunch at Pepper Bridge Winery, a guided tour of the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation’s Chinook Hatchery, and a guided tour of College Cellars of Walla Walla. It is a great opportunity to connect with colleagues and learn more about the region during a beautiful time of the year!
The bus departs from the Marcus Whitman Hotel at 11:00am and returns at 5:30pm.
Secure your seat when registering for the conference. If you’ve already registered, or wish to buy a ticket for a friend, no problem! We have a “bus tour only” option open as well. The cost per person is $125. Participants must be 21 or older.
Register at wwu.eventsair.com/pnrec-23/registration/Site/Register
2023 PNREC Keynote Speakers Announced: